Thursday, May 22, 2008

Thank You, Princess Diana

It came to me this morning that Princess Diana was the first fashion icon that I saw not wearing pantyhose with a dress. I remember everyone talking about it and I thought to myself, "If she feels good about it, then I will." Of course, that was back in another decade for me, like my 40's. Back when I didn't mind showing my legs that much. Well, I still have appreciation for all the women that followed her lead and now we don't have to sweat our guts out in the blistering southern heat with pantyhose sticking to us. Hooray! This may seem like a small thing, but when I think of all the years I would deal with them, I have to marvel at the freedom it has brought to shed those boogers. The winter is another story. We are wearing them for comfort and to keep our legs warm, but what on earth were we thinking about in the middle of summer? Is there something else that we could break free from that we just haven't thought of?? Perhaps. I will spend a few brain cells to ponder it.

1 comment:

Lavinia said...

I gave up nylons/pantyhose many years ago. But I can't wear close-toe shoes with bare feet; it has to be sandal.

Sometimes it depends on whether your office has a policy on the matter; they may deem bare legs unacceptable.

I feel sorry for the men I see in the sweltering summer heat, wearing their suit jacket. Makes me get a prickly heat rash just to look at them.

In the winter I stick to trousers, and wear trouser socks with them.

It's such a relief to discard pantyhose for good!