Monday, February 22, 2010

I have joined Willow and her friends with a writers group. We'll write postings by Tuesdays and I'm pretty excited about it. She gives us a picture each week and we write a story or poem about it. I'm putting her Magpie Tales stamp on my sidebar so if you would like to join us please come along.

As I think back nearly fifty years ago I remember a cold winter day that changed my world forever. I had been staying with my aunt for several months. My mother had died when I was a baby and my father was always traveling with his job. I knew he had an important job and it always seemed so secretive. I had lived with different relatives for the past ten years and I was so tired of trying to make friends only to have to leave again.

We had arrived from the airport and Aunt Elizabeth had rushed me up to our room. The Presidential Palace was just across the street. I remember all the lights and I was anxious to see the building in the daylight. I was told to sit by the fireplace and that we needed to talk. After she tipped the man for bringing our bags she walked over to me and stood directly over me.

"There was an accident and your father has been killed. We will wait for other relatives and then discuss where you will live." I looked down at the box of matches and all I could think about was that as long as I lived I would never forget this moment. My daddy was gone forever and I would have no one that cared.

I picked up the little box and put it in my silk purse. The edges are worn and I still can remember the coldness from that room. No fire could warm me that night.That beautiful hotel became like a prison and I lost all interest in seeing that palace across the street. That night I felt my frozen tears and I still long to say goodbye to my daddy.

10 comments:

Brian Miller said...

oh you ripped my heart out with this magpie...to miss a daddy. being one myself i can not imagine...

steviewren said...

A story and young girl so sad that not even a match has the power to warm them up.

Well done!

rel said...

Heart wenching, just heart wrenching. I can only hope it is fiction but fear it is not.
rel

Jan of Thousand Acres said...

You paint a poignant scene - an outstanding and moving piece of writing; your sense of nostalgia is very real.

Tess Kincaid said...

Oh, Trish, this is a tear jerker! Well done, my friend, well done.

Vicki Lane said...

Wonderful, the different tales this box of matches has illuminated! Very nice!

Betsy Brock said...

Ooohh...you're good, Trish! It seemed so real...I wanted to keep reading!

The Muse said...

http://adivashammer.com/archives/1124/comment-page-1#comment-8521

an emotional plunge...a read that takes the heart.

ChaChaneen said...

Ooooooooooh this was goooood! I felt like I was right there in the room! Chilling my friend! Excellent job!

a woman who is said...

You have been hiding your talents friend!

You got my attention for sure1